Stuffed Acorn Squash is baked and stuffed with a filling protein packed mixture of quinoa, chickpeas, tomatoes and a variety of spices! Both vegetarian and vegan-friendly and full of nutrition!
I found myself going right by the Acorn Squash in the grocery store time and time again. After a decadent holiday season full of heavy foods, I was craving some healthier foods, and the acorn squash just stood out. So, I decided to bake and stuff them with a healthy and hearty filling!
Stuffed Acorn Squash is loaded with quinoa and chickpeas which packs in plenty of protein and fiber! You can always play around with the spices, such Italian spices such as oregano, basil and rosemary. However, my ultimate favorite seasonings in this recipe are cumin, chili powder and my ultimate favorite spice, smoked paprika!
This recipe does not take an enormous amount of time to put together if you prepare the filling while you roast the squash in the oven! Quick and delicious! Win! Win!
Stuffed Acord Squah
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- salt & black pepper
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water, vivider
- 1 small onion, small diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 1/2 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Toppings: fresh parsley, roasted pepitas
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Sliced the acorn squash in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and pulp. Drizzle the squash halves with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the prepared halves face down. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Remove from the oven to cool enough to handle.
- While the squash is in the oven, cook the quinoa with 1 cup vegetable broth or water in a medium pot according to the package directions. Once tender and ready, set aside.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the diced onion and saute for approximately 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, approximately 30 seconds.
- Add the prepared quinoa, chickpeas, tomatoes, remaining 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, & black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Using a large spoon, scoop out the squash, leaving about 1/4 inch around the peel. Add the squash to the quinoa mixture and stir to combine. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until heated through and the liquid is absorbed. Add additional salt if needed.
- Stuff the acorn squash shells with the quinoa mixture. You will most likely have excess stuffing. Store the extra and enjoy as leftovers.
- Top the stuffed acorn squash with parsley and pepitas.
Definitely will try this.
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it!! ❤️
Made it. Absolutely a repeat recipe.
I did a rough chop of chickpeas. Leftover chickpeas I roasted with cinnamon & sugar. Dinner and a sweet treat. Thanks Tabsandtidbits !!