There is nothing like starting the year out with a hot and spicy delicious bowl of chili! This Slow Cooker Chipotle Black Bean Chili is a spicy and smoky chili filled with bulgur, black beans, and delicious spices!
This chili just so happens to be vegetarian and vegan-friendly too!
This chili is full of flavor and is hearty from the bulgur and black beans. However, some generous toppings is a must. The spicy heat, and this chili is spicy calls for some creamy avocado to balance out the heat.
As I mentioned, this chili is SPICY! You can always omit the adjust the heat by using a half of a chipotle pepper or the half of the adobo sauce. Either way, this Slow Cooker Chipotle Black Bean Chili is hearty and healthy without sacrificing on flavor!
Slow Cooker Chipotle Black Bean Chili
- 1 small onion, small diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1/2 cup bulgur, rinsed
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, small diced
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Toppings: avocado, green onions, cilantro, greek yogurt, etc.
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the onions and saute for approximately 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic cloves and saute until fragrant, approximately 30 seconds. Transfer the onion & garlic to a slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, black beans, bulgur, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, and vegetable broth. Stir to combine.
- Cover and set slow cooker to 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Add additional salt if needed.
- Enjoy with your favorite toppings!