This Spicy Black Bean Soup is full and flavor and has a nice kick of heat. I have always loved black bean soup, but the soup must have some great flavors to make it worthwhile. Not to mention the toppings are a must! This Spicy Black Bean Soup fits the bill on the flavors and great toppings!
This soup uses canned black beans for quicker cooking, but it adds fresh vegetables to liven up the beans.
Ground cumin does a great service for this soup. The red pepper flakes add a great kick. 1/2 teaspoon really made this soup the perfect spice for us, but if your family is sensitive to heat, add 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, or less. Adding freshly chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice really round out and brighten up this soup.
Finally, don’t forget the toppings! This soup is delicious by itself, but it is amazing with creamy avocado, diced red onions & more cilantro.
Spicy Black Bean Soup
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped fine
- 3 celery ribs chopped fine
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped fine
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 4 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes or to taste
- 4 15- oz cans of black beans rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional Garnish: diced avocado cilantro, diced red onions, tortilla chips, etc.
- Add olive oil in a large pot and heat over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and carrot along with a sprinkle of salt. Cook the vegetables until they are soft, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, cumin and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, around 30 seconds.
- Add the black beans and vegetable broth and increase the heat to medium-high. Bring to a simmer. Adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and avoid a rolling boil. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove 4 cups of the soup and puree in a blender until smooth. (Be very careful with hot liquids in a blender. Carefully allow the steam to escape.) Add the pureed soup back to the pot of soup. Stir in the cilantro, lime juice, salt & pepper.
- Serve with your favorite garnishes!