Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup is the perfect combination of smoky sweet red peppers and bright tomatoes to balance out this satisfying soup!
It is no secret that I am a huge fan of tomato soup. I just started loving roasted red peppers in recipes, so I decided to combine these lovely veggies together! I was not disappointed!
You can leave out the cream for a lighter version, but the heavy cream adds such a richness to the soup and also helps balance out the acidity of the soup.
I love to serve this soup with some simple whole grain garlic bread on the side and topped with fresh parsley. I have also enjoyed this soup topped with parmesan cheese and even feta cheese!
Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz jar roasted red pepper strips, drained
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- salt* & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the flour, stirring for 1 to 2 minutes or until the flour is golden and the mixture is thick.
- Slowly add the vegetable broth and stir with a whisk to removed any lumps from the flour mixture, Add the tomatoes, red pepper strips, basil, salt* & pepper. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat back to medium and allow to cook for 5 minutes at a low simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully blend the mixture in the pot until smooth. Alternatively, you can use a blender, and carefully blend the mixture in batches and return back to the pot.
- Return the pot back over medium heat and stir in the heavy cream. Continue to cook and stir until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Serve with freshly chopped parsley, grated parmesan cheese or even crumbled feta cheese.Enjoy!