These Skillet Chickpeas are amazing!! I don’t get excited about a side of beans too often, but these chickpeas are an exception! These beans make for a great protein packed side dish that comes together fast and easy!
Canned chickpeas are perfect for this dish. The onions, garlic and red pepper flakes coat all of the beans with the a most amazing flavor! The lemon juice and fresh parsley really brighten up this dish. Trust me, do not skip on the lemon juice!
These Skillet Chickpeas are meant to be a side dish, but you can make them a main dish. Just double the recipe and serve over your favorite rice or grain!!
- 3 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/8 t red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 15- oz cans chickpeas rinsed & drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 T chopped fresh parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon or to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring often until the garlic is lightly golden and fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- Add the onion and cook until softened and lightly browned (about 5 to 7 minutes).
- Add the chickpeas and vegetable broth. Cover and simmer until the chickpeas are heated through (about 7 minutes).
- Uncover and increase the heat to high. Simmer until the liquid has reduced to a light glaze (about 3 minutes). Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the parsley and lemon juice. Add salt a pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!