Some think soups, stews, and chilis are for the fall & winter seasons. I say if they are delicious, then enjoy them year-round. Chrissy Teigen’s Vegetable Tortilla Stew is a prime example of a delicious and filling stew that deserves to be enjoyed right now!
I got my hands on the popular cookbook Cravings by Chrissy Teigen, and I was intrigued to make this vegetable Tortilla Stew right away! Oh my! This stew is simply amazing! This cookbook is not loaded with vegetarian recipes. However, many of the recipes can be adapted to be vegetarian-friendly. I have to say I have been impressed with all of the recipes I have tried out of this cookbook. But, today, it is all about the Vegetable Tortilla Stew!
The recipe call for a jalapeno with the seeds along with cayenne pepper. So, it is spicyyy! Of course, there are ways to lower the heat level. Omit the seeds from the jalapeno. Omit the cayenne pepper or use less. The flavor in this stew is still absolutely delicious without the heat!
I kept this recipe vegan, but you can easily top this stew with grated cheese and sour cream. I opted to top the stew with plenty of sliced avocado to help balance the spiciness!
No matter how you serve this Vegetable Tortilla Stew, the recipe delivers a hearty and protein packed bowl of spicy stew!
Chrissy Teigen's Vegetable Tortilla Stew
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 large green bell pepper diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper finely diced (include the seeds)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper or to taste (the original recipe calls for 1/2 t)
- 2 t Kosher salt
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 15- oz cans diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 15- oz cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked rice I use long grain brown rice
- Toppings: tortilla strips sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, fresh lime wedges, etc.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Cook until the onion is translucent and slightly golden, stirring occasionally (about 10 minutes).
- Add the garlic, chili powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cook and stir until fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, and black beans. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked rice. Stir and cook at a simmer until the stew gets thicker (about 15 minutes).
- Season with additional salt & pepper if desired.
- Serve with tortilla strips, sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, fresh lime wedge, etc.