Chili Cheese Baked Potatoes start with seasoned buttery baked potatoes, topped with your favorite chili, and finally a generous amount of melted cheddar cheese!
Chili Cheese Baked Potatoes are a comfort food in our house. They are easy easy to make, and so filling!
There are a variety of ways to put together the Chili Cheese Baked Potatoes. You can bake the potatoes the long way, bake in the oven. You can cook them in the microwave. Finally, you can cook them in the slow cooker.
As for the chili, you can use any of your favorite chili recipes. I use this chili recipe. If you need to take a shortcut, there are so many delicious varieties of canned chili. This is my favorite canned chili.
The prep and cook time are short in this recipe. I consider the prep time after having cooked potatoes, prepared chili and grated cheese. The prep time is topping the potatoes with the chili & cheese. The cook time is melting the cheese.
There is one step that is not required to make a tasty Chili Cheese Baked Potato. However, I always add salt, pepper and a tablespoon of butter over the sliced hot potato halves. This just moistens and flavors the potatoes even more!
Chili Cheese Baked Potatoes
- 4 large baked russet potatoes cooked
- optional: add desired amount of butter salt & pepper
- 2 cups prepared chili
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or more if desired
- Optional Toppings: sour cream cilantro, sliced jalapenos, etc.
- Slice the warm baked potatoes lengthwise. Mash the interior of the potatoes halves to allow the chili to get in the potatoes
- Optional step: Add desired amount of butter, salt & pepper to the potatoes.
- Top 1/2 cup of chili to each potato half.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of grated cheese over the chili topping.
- Place the chili and cheese topped potatoes in the oven and broil for 2 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Alternatively, you can cook the chili a& cheese topped potatoes in the microwave and cook on high until the cheese has melted.
- Top with desired toppings and enjoy!