Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes are an inventive way to prepare the perfectly soft baked potato!
The same steps are taken to prepare the potatoes as if you were going bake the potatoes in the oven. Prick the potatoes, drizzle with some oil & sprinkle with some salt. The genius baking comes from the always dependable slow cooker to do the magic!
Halfway through the cooking time, you may think, are the potatoes really going to cook through?! Take it from me, you will eventually hear the sizzling steam coming from the potatoes. As with most slow cooker techniques, don’t keep opening the slow cooker to find out if the potatoes are cooking, or you will lose valuable heat and time.
Once the potatoes are soft, they are ready to be sliced open and topped with your baked potato favorites! My favorites are plenty of butter, salt, freshly ground black pepper, plenty of cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and chopped green onions!
Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes
- 4 to 6 baking potatoes Russet or Idaho
- Olive oil
- Kosher Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Aluminum foil
- Toppings: butter cheddar cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt, chopped green onions or chives
- Clean & dry the potatoes. Prick the potatoes with a fork 3-4 times each.
- Place each potato on a sheet of foil large enough to tightly wrap around the potato.
- Drizzle each potato with a small amount of olive oil. Sprinkle some salt over each potato. Rub the oil & salt to coat the potatoes. Tightly wrap the foil around each potato.
- Place the potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cover & cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours or until soft. Cooking time will vary based on the size of the potatoes.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice open the potatoes & add your favorite toppings!