Tortellini Soup is an oldie but a goodie soup! A quick and easy soup filled with tomatoes, fresh spinach, and cheese tortellini!
This soup cooks up fast making for a filling weeknight meal! I use refrigerated cheese tortellini for faster cooking and fresher taste. Of course, you can use frozen tortellini.
Fresh tomatoes can easily be used in the recipe, but I prefer the convenience of canned whole peeled tomatoes. I do recommend to use fresh spinach in this dish for better texture and taste!
Freshly grated parmesan cheese on top is not necessary, but why not! To round out this soup, serve with some warm and crusty buttered French bread!
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 small onion small diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 t Italian seasoning
- 1 15.5 oz canned peeled whole tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 9 oz packaged cheese tortellini refrigerated or frozen
- 4 cups fresh spinach chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes, occasionally stirring. Add the minced garlic and continue to cook for 30 seconds. Add the Italian seasoning and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the can of tomatoes and juices. Break up the tomatoes in the pot. (I use a potato masher for this step.) Add the broth and stir. Bring to a boil.
- Add the tortellini and cook based on the time listed on the package.
- Around one minute before the pasta is done, add the chopped spinach and stir. Add the desired amount of salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese.