I am a year round soup loving girl. I don’t care if it is scorching hot or bitter cold, I love soup! I know not everyone feels that way, so I am sharing this soup that packs on the nutrients but is a light and flavorful soup. It is an easy weeknight soup that is perfect all year round, but acceptable for the summertime as well.
I will be the first to admit that this soup does not photograph very good. Nonetheless, I can assure you that it full of flavorful goodness. Top it with some grated Parmesan cheese and a side of crusty bread, and you can call it a meal!
Spinach Leek and White Bean Soup
- 1 T olive oil
- 4 leeks the white and light green part only, chopped and thoroughly rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 15.5- oz cans cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1/4 t red pepper flakes
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous + 1 1/2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the couscous: Pour the water in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once water is boiling, pour in the couscous and stir. Remove from heat and cover. Let it sit covered until the couscous absorbs all the water (about 10 minutes)
- Prepare the soup:
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped leeks and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, beans, bay leaf, cumin and red pepper flakes. Stir and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, stir in the spinach. Allow the spinach to cook down.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Your soup is now ready to serve.
- Scoop some of the prepared couscous into individual bowls. Add soup over the couscous and give it a stir.