It is no surprise that I am a huge soup fan. This Smokey & Creamy Potato Soup is a prime example why. A filling potato soup filled with veggies, creaminess and delicious smokey seasonings topped with smokey Gouda cheese!
This recipe is built on a previous recipe that I increased the smokiness factor. Being a vegetarian, bacon is not an option to get the smokey flavor added to a recipe. So, I improvised with smoked paprika and smoked Gouda cheese on top. The Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning helps tremendously in the flavor department too! If you are not sure what Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning looks like, it is usually in the spice isle at large grocery chains, and it loos like this:
I am not short on plenty of potato soups on the blog, and I am pretty sure I will share more in the future. This particular potato soups sets itself apart with the flavor punch from the extra creole seasoning in addition to the smokiness created without bacon. The entire soup is ready in less than an hour, so this soup is a real winner for weeknight dinners as well!
Smokey & Creamy Potato Soup
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 6 medium russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 t Tony Chachere's seasoning or your favorite creole seasoning
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 6 cups vegetable broth plus more if needed
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- ground white pepper to taste
- Toppings: Grated smoked Gouda or smoked cheddar green onions, etc.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and celery. Sauté for 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Add the potatoes, Tony Chachere's seasoning (or your favorite creole seasoning), and smoked paprika. Stir to coat and combine all of the seasonings.
- Add 6 cups of the vegetable broth or enough to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Put the milk and flour in a bowl and whisk until completely combined and frothy. Slowly pour the milk and flour mixture into the soup and stir. The soup will slightly thicken as it continues to simmer.
- Gently mash the potatoes with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon leaving some chunky pieces for texture.
- Add the heavy cream and additional broth if needed. Season with salt, black pepper and white pepper.
- Serve the soup with your favorite toppings such as smoked Gouda sliced green onions.