This Brown Rice Veggie Bowl is filled with hearty and nutritious ingredients! Albeit considered “healthy”, this meal satisfies the taste buds and is filling! Steamed brown rice mixed with your favorite veggies flavored with spices and topped with crunchy nuts!
I love to try this with different veggies. I have used zucchini, bell peppers, baby kale, and so one. Mushrooms would be a great option, but I personally can’t stand mushrooms. For the mushrooms lovers, feel free to give it a try. The veggies I included in the recipe are my absolute favorite combination along with chopped walnuts. As always, feel free to swap out the veggies and nuts to your liking.
Most of us do not have steamed brown rice on hand at our disposal. I usually make the rice a day ahead when I make this dish. I personally think the rice cooks better and is less sticky, but it also saves on time. With that being said, I did not include the cook time for steaming the rice, so please keep that in mind if you are preparing the rice when you make this dish. The dish tastes delicious with day old or freshly steamed rice!
Brown Rice Veggie Bowl
- 3 cups steamed brown rice
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bunch asparagus chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 roma tomatoes seeds removed & diced
- 6 oz bag baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/4 t smoked paprika
- 12 t seasoned salt or taste
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 second or until fragrant.
- Add the asparagus and the vegetable broth. Cook the asparagus until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stir until combined. Add the spinach, cumin, seasoned salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and continue to cook until the spinach is wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes..
- Add the rice and stir to combine and is heated through. Add more seasoning if desired.
- Sprinkle the chopped walnuts over the top and serve.
Love this recipe.