Ok. So I have shared more than enough potato soups. I am not ashamed to share another one. My friends, I present to you Slow Cooker Loaded Potato Soup!
Aside from the bacon, this soup is the classic loaded baked potato in soup form. Vegetarians can easily add vegetarian-frinedly bacon if desired for the added smoky and salty flavor. I opted to keep it simple and top this already cheese filled soup with more cheese, green onions, and some freshly ground black pepper!
Slow Cooker Loaded Potato Soup
- 3 lbs russet potatoes peeled & diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 T butter
- 4 T all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese divided
- salt & pepper to taste
- Toppings: Green Onions Cheese, etc.
- Add the potatoes, vegetable broth, onions, & garlic to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours (until potatoes are fork tender). Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes in the slow cooker, leaving some potatoes chunky.
- in a large saucepan over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir with a whisk until the mixture is golden & bubbly, about 1 to 2 minutes.. Add the sour cream, whole milk, & heavy cream. Stir with the whisk until the mixture is incorporated & smooth. Add 1 cup of the grated cheese. Stir with the whisk until melted & smooth
- Slowly add the cheese mixture to the slow cooker. Add salt & pepper to taste. Stir and cook for 15 to 20 additional minutes.
- Serve topped with the remaining grated cheese, green onions, etc.