I have looked long and far for a delicious and worthy broccoli cheddar soup slow cooker style. This recipe is it! This Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup does not sacrifice on flavor, consistency or creaminess. As a matter of fact it surpassed my expectations and has been making regular appearances in our kitchen.
The only extra preparation that this recipe needed was making the white sauce at the beginning of the recipe. Other than that, this soup comes together in the slow cooker.
You can create the white sauce in a sauce pan on the stove. My husband surprised my with the Cusinart Cook Central 4-in-1 Multi-Cooker last Christmas. I love this multi-cooker. It is slow cooker as well as it can roast, brown/saute and steam foods. In this recipe, I made the white sauce in the multi-cooker on the brown/saute setting. Once the white sauce was ready, I poured in the other ingredients and turned on the slow cooker setting. No extra sauce pan to clean!
Whether you use a multi-cooker or saucepan and slow cooker, this soup is worth the small amount of time to make the white sauce.
My husband and I ate this soup for dinner and for leftovers the next day. If you love broccoli cheddar soup, try out this Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup! Just remember, the higher fat content milk you use, the creamier the soup! Just saying! 🙂
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 4 T butter
- 5 T all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk The higher the fat content, the creamier the soup (I use 2 cups whole milk and 1 cup half & half
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1/2 t Italian seasoning or to taste
- 2 oz cream cheese cut into small squares
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese plus more for topping
- 2 t salt or to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir until the butter and flour are combined. Gradually pour in the milk. Use a whisk to stir and remove the clumps. Continue to stir until the mixture has thickened. Remove from the heat.
- In the slow cooker, add the broccoli, onion, garlic Italian seasoning, cream cheese, vegetable broth and prepared white sauce. Stir the ingredient to combine. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the cover and add the 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Enjoy with more grated cheese on top.