This Lentil & Spinach Soup is nutritious, filling and spicy! By putting everything in the slow cooker, it is simple to make too! This soup is perfect even when the weather is hot because the slow cooker will not heat up your kitchen. This filling soup will also warm you up on those cold months too. A delicious, nutritious and filling soup with the optional but strongly recommended kick of spice!
When Cooper became sick recently and we were having to spend a lot of time going back and forth to the vet, we still needed to eat. I put everything in the slow cooker in the morning and by dinner time, the work was done! I just added some chopped fresh spinach and red wine vinegar and a quick and nutritious dinner was served. Not to mention the abundant amount of leftovers for the next few nights!
The fire roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika give that nice smoky flavor. However, this soup is still delicious and flavorful with just plain diced tomatoes and paprika. I like to add cayenne pepper to this soup, so it does have a kick. If you are sensitive to heat, just leave it out.
By the way, this Lentil & Spinach Soup (Slow Cooker Style) is freezer friendly!
Lentil & Spinach Soup (Slow Cooker Style)
- 2 cups dried green lentils sorted & rinsed
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 stalks celery small diced
- 4 medium carrots small diced
- 1 medium onion small diced
- 1 shallot small diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 14- oz can fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1/2 t ground black pepper
- 2 t kosher salt
- 9 oz-bag fresh spinach roughly chopped
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- In a 6 quart or larger slow cooker, add all of the ingredients except for the spinach and red wine vinegar. Stir and cover. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. About 15 minutes before the soup is finished cooking, remove the bay leaf. Add the spinach and red wine vinegar. Stir and allow just enough time for the spinach to wilt (about 10 to 15 minutes).
- Serve with more ground black pepper or grated parmesan cheese.