Eggs in Purgatory is a fun name that simply means eggs baked in a marinara sauce! A rustic Italian inspired dish that is made with simple ingredients and quick to make!
If you want a savory breakfast of a quick dinner, Eggs in Purgatory is a delicious choice! Served with buttery toasted french bread is highly recommended!
A few weeks ago I shared an easy to make Marina Sauce, which I used in this dish! However, using your favorite store-bought marinara sauce is perfectly fine! Adding red pepper flakes is optional but it really turns up the flavor and heat!
Eggs in Purgatory
- 3 cups Marina Sauce or you can use a 24 oz <g class="gr_ gr_46 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" id="46" data-gr-id="46">jay</g> of store-bought marinara sauce
- 1/4 t red pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs
- salt & pepper
- freshly chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add the red pepper flakes, if using, to the marinara sauce. Stir to combine.
- Pour the marinara sauce into a 10 to 12-inch oven safe skillet.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese to over the marinara sauce.
- Gently crack each egg over the marinara sauce.
- Top each egg with salt & pepper.
- Gently place in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the eggs are set to your preference.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley.
- Serve with buttery toasted french bread slices.