Tamales are so good, but they also take a long time to make. I love eating tamales, but I need time that I don’t have to make them. When I came across a quick version of a tamale pie at Eat Live Run, I found my new favorite Easy Tamale Pie!
This tamale pie is filling and flavorful as is. It is a great vegetarian weeknight meal! But, if you want to add some cooked shredded chicken to give it a little more protein, that would be a great option too.
One thing to keep in mind is the spice level of the salsa you use. We love a kick to our dishes, so we use a medium salsa and add the cayenne pepper. You might want to opt for a mild salsa and leave out the cayenne pepper. If you live in the can’t make it hot enough food world, go all out with your salsa!
Easy Tamale Pie
- 1 18- oz. polenta roll in the produce section or the pasta isle
- 1 15- oz can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper optional
- 1 cup grated cheese cheddar, Monterey jack, pepper jack)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet or an 8x8 square baking dish.
- Slice the polenta rolls into 1/4 inch slices. Cover the bottom of the skillet or baking dish with overlapping slices.
- In a large bowl, add the pinto beans, corn, salsa, salt, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper (if using). Stir to combine. Pour the bean mixture over the polenta slices.Top with the cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil, and continue to bake for 15 additional minutes.
Jennifer wise says
Gonna try it!
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!