This Creamy Spinach Tomato Tortellini is a perfect anytime meal but it is especially perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal. This dish is super flavorful and filling! Cheesy filled tortellini surrounded with a flavorful creamy tomato sauce with spinach. This meal is filling, flavorful and simple to put together!
I have always loved cheese tortellini. I have purchased it fresh and frozen, but I always rolled on by the dried bag of cheese tortellini in the pasta aisle at the grocery store. That is until I discovered the recipe created by Chungah at damndelicious.net. I have loved so many of her recipes, so I figured why not give that dried cheese filled tortellini a chance! It it was was delicious decision! You can certainly use fresh or frozen cheese tortellini, but I loved the bag of tortellini in this recipe.
Creamy Spinach Tomato Tortellini
- 12 oz cheese tortellini pasta
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- 1 T olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cups fresh spinach roughly chopped
- 2 t dried basil
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese plus more for topping
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the tortellini according to the package directions. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and flour. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, around 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, spinach, basil, oregano, thyme and red pepper flakes. Add the salt and pepper to taste. Cook and stir on occasion until the spinach starts to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the cream and flour mixture the sauce pan. Stir to combine. Add the 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Stir in the tortellini and gently toss to combine.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese on top.