This Classic Potato Soup is my kind of comfort food. A creamy, delicious, and filling potato soup full of the classic veggies!
I have made several versions of potato soup, but this soup is where it all started for me. It has been the potato soup that I always go back to. Classic might be a subjective term, but this soup is the mother of all potato soups! All of the peeling and chopping is worth every spoonful of this rich and creamy soup!
This recipe makes a huge batch. We love this soup for leftovers, so the more the better. Feel free to halve the recipe of it is a bit too much.
Classic Potato Soup
A creamy, delicious, and filling potato soup full of the classic veggies!
Servings: 6 -8
- 6 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced onion
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 t salt or to taste
- 1/2 t ground white or black pepper or to taste
- 6 T butter
- 6 T all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- Toppings: Grated cheese green onions, etc.
- Combine the potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, and vegetable broth in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour and stir with a whisk, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in the milk to avoid lumps from forming. Continue stirring with a whisk over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into the potato mixture, and cook soup until heated through.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.
Recipe Adapted From: Allrecipes