These Cheesy Black Bean Veggies Quesadillas are exactly just that. Cheesy and simply delicious! Sauteed chopped peppers and onions with black beans are layered with two cheeses folded in a flour tortilla and baked in the oven!
These quesadillas are a simple and filling weeknight meal! The work comes in with slicing the peppers and onions. I know I am not the first person the advise to chop your veggies a day or two ahead to save on time. But, chop your veggies ahead to save time!
I love the colors and sweetness in the multi-color bell peppers. I usually get a better deal by purchasing the 3 pack of red, orange, and yellow peppers. The peppers are usually smaller, but that is what works in these quesadillas.
As for the cheese, I use both sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses! If you want an extra kick to the quesadillas, sub the Monterey Jack with Pepper Jack cheese!
Add a side of Simple & Spicy Refried Black Beans to these quesadillas, and you will have a delicious and satisfying dinner!
Cheesy Black Bean Veggie Quesadillas
- 1 small red bell pepper halved & sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper halved &sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper halved &sliced
- 1 small orange bell pepper halved & sliced
- 1 large onion halved & sliced
- 2 T vegetable oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 15- oz can black beans rinsed & drained
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 4 large flour tortillas burrito size
- vegetable oil for brushing
- Serving suggestions: Salsa sour cream, guacamole, etc.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onion. Sprinkle with desired amount of salt & pepper. Saute until the peppers & onions are soft and starting to brown. Remove from the heat and add the black beans and toss to combine.
- In a medium bowl combine the cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese together until combined.
- Brush the one sire of the flour tortillas and flip so the non-greased side is facing up. Layer a 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture on one half of each tortilla. Layer the black bean veggie mix over the bottom layer of cheese. Layer another 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture over black bean and veggie layer.
- Fold the other half of the tortillas to make a half moon. Place the tortillas on a large baking sheet. (You may need tow baking sheets.)
- Bake in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully flip the quesadillas and bake for another 6 to 8 minutes or until the tortillas start to brown.
- Slice the tortillas into triangles and enjoy with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, etc.