Having a go-to refried beans recipe on hand is a must in our house. Having a fast and easy refried beans recipes if a huge plus! This Simple and Spicy Refried Black Beans is quick to make and filled with a smoky kick to add life to this Mexican food staple.
I have used my fair share of canned refried beans. They are fine and dandy when in a pinch, but this Simple and Spicy Refried Black Beans is so easy to make and so much better than the canned versions.
Making refried beans the traditional way can take at least a couple of hours. By using canned beans, you time is cut dramatically. The heat level can certainly be taken up or down to your preference. I have always preferred black beans over pinto beans, but pinto bean can certainly be substituted in the recipe.
Simple & Spicy Refried Black Beans
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 small white onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers seeded and finely diced
- 1 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 14- oz cans black beans rinsed & drained
- Juice of 1 lime
- Add olive oil to s medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic, jalapeño, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper. Cook until onions are softened, around 5 minutes, stirring often. Add water and continue to cook until water is reduced to reduce to 2-3 tablespoons. Add the black beans and heat through. Remove from heat.
- Transfer bean mixture to a food processor and add the lime juice. (Be careful with hot ingredients in the food processor, and allow room for expansion.) Process until smooth. Add additional salt if needed. If the mixture is too thick add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Serve as desired. I like serving with grated cheese!