With the hustle and bustle of daily life, especially this time of year, a healthy and quick soup like this Weeknight Red Lentil Soup is perfect! A simple yet delicious uncomplicated soup that is vegan and vegetarian-friendly!
Red lentils are perfect for quick weeknight cooking. They do not require soaking or long cooking times. They break down fast into a soft and creamy texture. This soup only requires simple ingredients and a few additions to create such a healthy and filling meal!
We love sprinkling some red pepper chili flakes on top of our soup for some heat, but if you are not a fan of the extra kick, just some freshly ground black pepper and fresh lemon juice is perfect too!
This soup is perfect for a weeknight or whenever you want a quick and healthy soup!
Weeknight Red Lentil Soup
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large onion small diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups uncooked red lentils rinsed & drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 t kosher salt or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 oz fresh baby spinach & baby kale mix
- Lemon slices
- Red pepper chili flakes
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion with a pinch of salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the onions are soft, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add the red lentils, vegetable broth, water, salt, and black pepper. Stir and increase the heat to high. Bring the mixture to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the soup thickens and the lentils have broken down and are soft. Add the baby spinach and baby kale. Stir and remove from heat. Add more salt if needed.
- Serve soup with lemon slices to add fresh lemon juice in individual servings. Top with more freshly ground black pepper & red pepper chili flakes on top.