Mac and Cheese!!! I love it! There are not too many versions of mac and cheese that I am not willing to try. Let’s face it though. A good mac and cheese takes a decent amount of time to make. I am not talking about the boxed mac and cheese versions. We are only addressing homemade, made from scratch mac and cheese. I have found only one recipe for a mac and cheese lover approved quick version of homemade mac and cheese. Weeknight Mac and Cheese!
Awhile back I discovered this mac and cheese recipe over at Kevin and Amanda. I have been making this mac and cheese which I like to call Weeknight Mac and Cheese for many dinners ever since.
This mac and cheese gives you the homemade mac and cheese feeling without the added extra work it would normally take. Perfect for a busy weeknight.
Weeknight Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups dried penne pasta
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 4 T butter cut into small cubes
- 2 cups shredded cheese preferable a sharp cheese (I used extra sharp white cheddar cheese)
- 3/4 - 1 cup whole milk
- Prepare penne pasta according to packaged directions and drain.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray with non-stick spray or butter an 8x8 baking dish.
- In the baking dish layer half of the cooked pasta. Sprinkle on half of the salt on the pasta. Lay half of the butter on top and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Repeat to make another layer of the pasta, salt, butter and cheese.
- Pour the milk into the dish. Use enough milk to fill the dish 1/3 full of milk.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.