There is something about beans and rice together that makes sense. They fill you up and a they are generally inexpensive. If you season everything just right, you get a delicious and flavorful meal like this Stovetop Beans and Rice dish.
This meal comes together in less than 30 minutes and is so wonderfully delicious! This dish is of vegetarian and is vegan-friendly too! If you are just looking for a meatless Monday quick family meal, look no further.
The flavors in this Stovetop Bean and Rice dish will be a pleasant surprise. The combination of cumin seeds and ground cumin make the dish stand out. This dish is protein packed with the beans. It is especially nice to use two different types of beans!
This Stovetop Bean and Rice dish is our go-to dish on a busy night, and the dish we like to change up with our favorite Baked Rice and Beans dish.
I really recommend using short grain brown rice in this dish. It truly makes a special difference in this dish. Nonetheless, long grain brown rice will still be delicious!
Stovetop Beans and Rice
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 t whole cumin seeds
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 4- oz can green chilies
- 1 t kosher salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 14.5- oz can black beans rinsed & drained
- 14.5- oz can pinto beans rinsed & drained
- 3 cups cooked brown rice short grain highly recommended
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and cumin seeds. Cook and occasionally stir for 5 to 7 minutes or until the onion is softened and translucent.
- Add the ground cumin, green chilies, salt and black pepper. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, black beans and pinto beans. Gently stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Add the cooked rice and gently stir to fully combine. (Gently incorporated to avoid breaking up the beans.)
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover and lower heat. Cook and occasionally stir for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Remove from heat. Serve in individual bowls topped with the chopped cilantro.