Every holiday season I make the usual tried and true dishes. However, I like to try new dishes just for the fun of it. Many of the dishes never made a repeat. Umm, we can talk about those another time! 🙁 Fortunately, some of the new dishes become a staple dish on the menu. 🙂
This spinach gratin is one of those dishes that I tried this past Thanksgiving. It will definitely make an appearance on our Christmas menu too!
This recipe is for a 9×13 baking dish, so you get a lot of spinach gratin. That is perfect for a holiday menu. It feeds a crowd and/or you even get leftovers.
The kiddos have been known to enjoy this spinach gratin thanks to the cheeses and creaminess in this dish! Just remember to squeeze as much of the water from the thawed spinach as you can. When you think you have gotten all of the water out, give it one more squeeze! You don’t want the water to ruin this dish!
If you are looking for a side dish to add to your menu for this upcoming holiday, this spinach gratin would make a great and delicious choice!
- 4 T unsalted butter
- 4 cups diced yellow onions 2 large onions
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 t ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 lbs frozen chopped spinach thawed (5 10-oz packages)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 T kosher salt
- 1/2 t ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray or butter a 9x13 baking dish.
- On the stovetop over medium heat, melt the butter in a saute pan. Add the chopped onions and saute until translucent, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes. Add the flour and nutmeg. Stir in and cook for 2 additional minutes. Add the cream and milk. Cook until thickened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the liquid from the spinach. (Be sure to squeeze as much liquid from the spinach as you can so the dish does not get runny). Add the spinach to the onions and cream mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and stir to fully incorporate. Season with the salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the spinach mixture to the prepared 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and Gruyere cheese over the top.
- Bake fo 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly and the cheese has melted on top.