If you associate rice and chickpeas as bland, this Spanish Chickpeas and Rice dish will change your mind! A one dish meal that is hearty and full of flavor. A filling one pot dish full of spices, rice, chickpeas, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and topped with fresh lemon!
I had saved this recipe from Budget Bytes for a while now. I finally made this dish, and it turned out so flavorful with just the perfect amount of spice! This dish does pack a little heat from the cayenne pepper, so feel free to lower the amount of or omit altogether.
This dish is filling and flavorful! The winning factor for me is the entire dish cooks on the stovetop in one pot! Perfect for a weeknight meal and less cleanup!
Spanish Chickpeas and Rice
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t dried oregano
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 15 oz can petite-diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 15 oz can quartered artichoke hearts drained & roughly chopped
- 1 16 oz can chickpeas rinsed & drained
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 t salt or to taste
- 1/4 bunch fresh parsley roughly chopped
- 1 lemon quartered
- Heat olive oil in a large and deep skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and desired amount of black pepper to the skillet. Stir and saute the spices in the garlic and oil for 1 minute.
- Add the onion to the skillet. Saute until the onion is soft and translucent, around 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, artichoke hearts, tomatoes with juices, vegetable broth, and salt. Add the parsley leaving a small amount for sprinkling when serving. Stir all of the ingredients in the skillet until combined. Once the mixture reaches a boil, lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
- After simmering for 20 minutes, turn off the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes still covered. Remove the lid, and fluff with a fork. Sprinkle remaining parsley over the mixture.
- Serve in individual bowls with a lemon wedge to squeeze over each bowl.