I recently discovered this Slow Cooker Kale and Quinoa Soup and immediately put it on my to-do list. Considering that it is cold right now, soups are definitely a fitting option for us. Since this is slow cooker soup that even cooks the quinoa, I was sold. The simplicity of making this soup is what I liked, but the flavor is what will keep me making this soup!
This Slow Cooker Kale and Quinoa Soup is a perfect protein-packed meal that just so happens to be vegan and vegetarian (if topped with parmesan cheese) friendly. If you are looking for a healthy, easy to make, meatless Monday meal, this would be a great option for your family!
Served with a side of crusty french bread will round out this soup!
Slow Cooker Kale and Quinoa Soup
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 2 14.5 oz cans petite tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans Great Northern Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 t Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 lb kale chopped
- In the slow cooker, add the quinoa, tomatoes, beans, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, vegetable broth, water, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7 - 8 hours or on high heat for 3 - 4 hours.
- In the last 15 minutes, add the kale and stir. Once the kale has wilted, the soup is ready.