This Roasted Red Pepper Sauce is simple to put together with roasted jarred red pepper strips! A rich and bright sauce that will liven up your pasta!
It took me while to get on the red pepper band wagon. I enjoyed them as an ingredient in different dishes, but I never tried them as the main ingredient. Bell peppers were just not my thing. Well, I have been missing out once I first made this Roasted Red Pepper Sauce!
Admittedly, it is kind of easy to enjoy something even more when you add butter and cream to it! But, on a serious note, you can omit the butter and cream to keep this sauce on the healthier side, but the sauce will not be as rich and creamy!
I love the simplicity of the Roasted Red Pepper Sauce. However, you can always add seasonings such as basil and oregano, but totally not necessary since the sauce is already packed with flavor. I love to serve this sauce tossed with some whole wheat pasta and plenty of grated parmesan cheese!
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 oz jar roasted red pepper strips, drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat olive in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until the onion is transparent. It is fine if the onions brown just a little, for it will add flavor. Add the minced garlic, and saute for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the drained roasted red pepper strips, vegetable broth, salt, and pepper. Cook until heated through.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender right in the pot, blend until smooth. Alternatively, you can transfer the mixture in batches to a blender & blend until smooth. Either way, be careful with the hot mixture.
- Return the mixture back over to medium heat. Add the butter and cream. Stir until melted and heated through. Add additional salt & pepper if desired. Remove from heat.
- Serve with your favorite pasta!