This Red Lentil Kale Soup offers so much flavor and spice. This soup is nutrient packed and flavor packed. Another plus is red lentils cooks up fast. In less than an hour, you can enjoy this delicious and healthy soup. Serving it with some warm crusty french bread wouldn’t hurt!
This soup is also vegan. Whenever I look for a delicious vegan recipe, I know Angela Liddon at Oh She Glows will offer a flavor filled and satisfying recipe. This Red Lentil Kale Soup come strait out of her amazing cookbook The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out.
Red Lentil Kale Soup
A flavor packed vegan soup filled with red lentils, kale and delicious spices.
Servings: 4 -6
- 1 t olive oil
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 large cloves garlic minced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 t ground cumin
- 2 t chilli powder
- 1/2 t ground coriander
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 1/8 to 1/4 t cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 5 to 6 cups vegetable broth plus more if needed
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils rinsed and darined
- 2 large handfuls of de-stemmed and chopped kale leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5 to 6 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the celery and lightly season with salt. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf, cumin, chili powder, coriander, paprika and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine. Saute for a couple of minutes and until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes with juices, broth and lentils. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer (uncovered) for 20 to 25 minutes. The lentils should be tender. Remove the bay leaf.
- Stir in the kale and cook for few minutes until the kale is tender and wilted. Season with salt and pepper.