I was inspired to make this salad after eating a salad I ate at a lunch served at a continuing education class. It was one of those catered lunches that is brought in and paid for with the class fee. So, you try not to set your expectations too high in those cases. I will admit the salad looked like an afterthought. It seemed to consist of chopped up iceberg lettuce and chopped tomatoes. But being a vegetarian, you appreciate something on the table you can eat. I don’t expect people to cater to my diet, especially when a good percentage of people do eat meat. I was grateful to see some salad and rolls I could eat! Now back to the pleasantly surprising salad.
I was wrong about the salad being an afterthought once I took a bite. What an ingenious idea! There was more in the salad. Capers, Parmesan cheese . . . Yum! A simple yet flavorful salad. The key is to pick ingredients with a power punch of flavor. With the salad inspiration in mind, I made a quick and easy salad that does not require tons of chopping, but will delight your tastebuds. This salad will not look like an afterthought. By using bright green romaine lettuce and colorful additions it will taste as good as it looks.
Quick and Easy Salad
- 3 hearts of romaine lettuce washed and dried
- 1 3.5- oz package sundried tomatoes
- 1 4- oz jar capers
- 1 wedge Parmesan cheese
- 1 5- oz package crumbled blue cheese
- Chop the lettuce into bite size pieces. Put into a large salad bowl.
- Cut the sundried tomatoes into smaller pieces and add to the lettuce.
- Add the desired amount of capers.
- Shave the Parmesan cheese and add the shavings to the bowl.
- Add desired amount of crumbled blue cheese.
- Toss and serve with your favorite salad dressing.