Why not start the week with a one pot dish. A quick and easy dish that cooks the pasta and creates a delicious sauce in one pot!
I found this easy weeknight-friendly recipe from the book, One Pot: 120+ Easy Meals from Your Skillet, Slow Cooker, Stockpot, and More. I have had many failures and disappointments with one pot pasta dishes. I ended up with mushy pasta or barely cooked pasta. So, I had an open mind when I first made this dish. I was hopeful, but I had a frozen dinner waiting in case this one pot pasta dish was a bust! That frozen dinner stayed in the freezer because, this one pot pasta dish was a success! The pasta cooked to perfection and the flavors were on point!
I do recommend using vegetable broth (or chicken broth if you are not vegetarian) instead of just water. The broth gives this dish so much flavor! We love the kick that comes from the red pepper flakes! If you or someone in your house is sensitive to heat, just omit the red pepper flakes. One way or another, this One Pot Pasta with Tomatoes & Basil will be the perfect weeknight dish!
One Pot Pasta with Tomatoes & Basil
- 12 oz uncooked penne pasta or pasta or your choice
- 1- pint grape tomatoes halved
- 1 white onion halved and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil plus more for garnish
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil plus more for serving
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot or deep sided saute pan, combine the pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, vegetable broth, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir frequently and cook until the pasta is al dente and the liquid has nearly evaporated, about 9-10 minutes.
- Garnish with additional basil. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and parmesan cheese on top.