I have made my fair share of baked zucchini. A simple parmesan and seasonings coating the zucchini. I have added flour into the mix. All of which are delicious. However, this version is our ultimate version! I simply call it Nuts for Cheesy Zucchini.
I often like to use almond meal/flour in dishes to substitute for flour. It really works in this recipe. Almond meal/flour gives a buttery and, of course, nutty taste and texture. Zucchini is full of moisture, so when it bakes it gets soft. The coating gets crunchy and adds a perfect complement to the baked zucchini.
A love the flavor of pecorino romano cheese, but parmesan cheese is just as tasty in this dish.
These zucchini treats turn into a nutty, buttery, cheesy and seasoned to perfection delight! They just so happen to be low on carbs too!
Nuts for Cheesy Zucchini
- 1 cup almond meal/flour
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano cheese or parmesan cheese
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t onion powder
- 1/2 T Italian seasoning
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs zucchini cleaned & dried
- 2 T olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add the almond meal/flour, cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, black pepper & salt. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Quarter the zucchinis into 4-inch long and 1/4-inch thick sticks.
- In a large bowl, add the zucchini sticks. Pour in the olive oil and toss to coat the zucchini sticks.
- In the same bowl (or you can do this step in a large Ziploc bag), add the almond meal & cheese mixture. Toss to coat the zucchini.
- Place the coated zucchini (1/2 inch apart) on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the zucchini is cooked and the coating starts to get crisp and golden brown. You can broil for a couple of minutes once cooked to brown the tops.