This is a tried and true simple candy to make. I am not sure where this recipe came from, but it is absolutely ingenious. Making candy out of saltines? I had my doubts, but since the the recipe only called for 4 ingredients that I always have on hand, it was worth a shot. This chocolate saltine toffee candy is insanely delicious.
These chocolate saltine toffee candies are so easy to whip up. The hardest part is waiting to the candy to cool.
People might turn their heads when you tell them you made these with saltines, but once they take a bite, they will be nodding their heads with agreement on how delicious these candies are to eat.
Chocolate Saltine Toffee
- 40 salted saltine crackers
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Place the saltine crackers in a single layer on the lined cookie sheet. (Salted tops facing up.)
- Put the butter and brown sugar in a small sauce pan. Bring the butter and brown sugar to a boil. Continue to boil the mixture for 3 minutes, occasionally stirring. The mixture should end up with a deep caramel color.
- Immediately pour the butter and sugar mixture over the saltine crackers. Spread to completely cover the crackers.
- Place the coated crackers in the oven and bake for 5 to 6 minutes, until it gets bubbly.
- Remove from oven and immediately pour the chocolate chips over the candied saltines. Allow the chocolate chips to soften for a minute of two. Now spread the chocolate over the tops of the candied crackers.
- Allow to cool. Once cooled, break into pieces.