This Chocolate Cream Cheese Peppermint Cake is a perfect Christmas dessert! A delicious chocolate cake swirled with cream cheese and topped with a peppermint and vanilla cream cheese frosting topped with crushed candy canes!
This dessert is simple to make by using a boxed cake mix. Once you add the cream cheese swirls and the delicious and decadent cream cheese frosting, the whole dessert tastes like it was made from scratch.
If the cream cheese swirls tend to sink to the bottom of the cake, don’t fret. The placement of the cream cheese swirls makes no difference in the overall taste.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Peppermint Cake
A delicious chocolate cake swirled with cream cheese and topped with a peppermint and vanilla cream cheese frosting topped with crushed candy canes!
- 1 box Devil’s food cake mix along with eggs, oil, water, etc.
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg white
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 t pure peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 T milk
- 3-4 candy canes crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the 8-oz block of cream cheese, sugar and egg white. Mix with an electric mixer on medium for 1-2 minutes or until combined and smooth.
- Pour half of the chocolate cake batter into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Drop spoonfuls of the the cream cheese mixture over the batter in the baking dish. Using the back of the spoon, swirl the cream cheese mixture all over the top of the cake batter.
- Pour the remaining cake batter all over the top of the cream cheese mixture. Gently spread the cake batter to evenly cover the cream cheese swirl layer.
- Bake for 38-40 minutes or until a tooth-pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese and butter on medium until the mixture is smooth. Gradually add in the powdered sugar. Once the powdered sugar has been completely combined, mix in the vanilla and peppermint extracts. Add the mil, until smooth and has a spreadable consistency. You may need to add more or less milk, but usually 1 1/2 T is the perfect amount of milk.
- Evenly spread frosting on cooled cake.
- Sprinkle the crushed candy canes all over the top.
Recipe Source: Life In The Lofthouse