This chickpea salad is simple to put together and versatile. Some people reference chickpea salad as mock tuna salad. I would not go that far, but chickpea salad uses similar ingredients. You can enjoy the chickpea salad as a sandwich, on crackers or in lettuce as I have made it today. One thing I will not try to do is convince anyone that it is a mock tuna salad. This chickpea salad can proudly stand alone as it is and will not pretend to be something else.
I make this salad when we want something quick and easy to put together for lunch. I like mine as a lettuce wrap. My husband likes to put the salad on sandwich bread or in pita bread. Leftovers go on crackers the next day.
This salad is versatile, so you can easily omit and add ingredients to your liking!
- 2 16 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 3 stalks of celery small diced
- 1/2 small onion small diced
- 1/2 cup dill pickles small diced
- 3 T sour cream
- 3 T mayonaise
- 1 T lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher until they are flaky and in smaller pieces.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl of smashed chickpeas. Stir until combined.
- Cover and put in refrigerator for an hour.
- Serve on lettuce, as a sandwich or on crackers.