These Quinoa and Chickpea Bowls are quick to make and full of nutritious and delicious ingredients! Great for a healthy weeknight meal!
For the two of us at home, this recipe makes for great leftovers. It yields a low of quinoa and plenty of chickpea mix. So, this recipe is a tried and true delicious leftover meal!
The cook time and fast since the chickpea mixture cook at the same time of the quinoa. The freshly chopped baby spinach layer in between the quinoa and chickpea mixture is a delicious and bright addition to the dish!
Chickpea and Quinoa Bowls
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 15- oz can chickpeas rinsed & drained
- 1 15- oz can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 t ground cumin
- 3/4 t smoked paprika
- 1/2 t chili powder
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t ground black pepper
- 1/4 t red pepper flakes optional
- 1 6- oz package of fresh baby spinach roughly chopped
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat the vegetable broth to boiling. Add the quinoa, bring to simmer, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the liquid has absorbed. Once cooked, remove from heat & set aside.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt, black pepper & red pepper flakes, if using. Stir to incorporate. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, spoon the cooked quinoa (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup) in a bowl. Place some fresh chopped spinach (about 1/4 cup) over the quinoa. Place the chickpea mixture (about 3/4 cup) over the spinach. Finally, garnish with some chopped parsley.