I realize that slow cookers and soups make more of an appearance during the fall and winter seasons. But not in my house. Slow cookers are perfect for convenience and keeping the kitchen cool. Soups are on my weekly menu year-round. This Cheesy Cauliflower Soup is not too heavy but is huge on flavor!
The key to making this soup amazingly flavorful is in the cheese. Please use a good quality sharp cheddar cheese! I would hate for you to miss out on how great this soup is just because the cheese was too mild. I use Cabot Seriously Sharp White Cheddar Cheese in this soup and it adds great cheddar flavor and a smooth texture.
I would not classify this soup as healthy. But healthy seems to be a subjective term these days. This soup would be considered low carb, so if you are looking for a low carb soup, here is your soup! But just don’t skip the cheese!
I love cheesy potato soups, but they can be very heavy. This Cheesy Cauliflower Soup is a perfect low carb choice that delivers great flavor!
Slow Cooker Cauliflower Chowder
- 1 large head cauliflower roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 leeks white part only, cleaned and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese plus more for topping
- Add the cauliflower, celery, onion, leeks, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, vegetable broth, water, salt, and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add the half & half and cheese. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Serve and enjoy with toppings such as cheese and chopped green onions.