I enjoy my fair share of beans and rice. It is easy and inexpensive. Not to mention, beans and rice always make a filling meal. This Cheesy Baked Beans and Rice fits all of the above! Most importantly though is this dish is delicious!
This Cheesy Baked Beans and Rice dish is completely flexible. You can use any rice of your choice, beans of your choice, cheese of your choice. You get the idea! The recipe I am sharing is our favorite combination of ingredients.
If you have leftover rice, you can save yourself some time in making this dish. But honestly, how many people have leftover rice waiting around in the refrigerator. So, the prep and cook time will reflect the time it takes to make the rice.
Cheesy Baked Beans & Rice
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa I use a fire roasted medium salsa
- 1/4 t Sazon seasoning usually found in the international food isle
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 15- oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups grated colby jack cheese divided
- chopped cilantro for topping
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Grease an 8x8 baking dish or similar size.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked rice, salsa, Sazon, juice of lime and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Pour in the prepared dish and smooth the top to make an even layer.
- Add the black beans over the rice layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 cups of cheese over the beans.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.