Carmelitas!! I only recently discovered these sweet and decadent dessert bars. I love caramel! I love chocolate! I know I am not alone in the caramel and chocolate fan club. These bars are rich yet so rewarding to take a bite out of.
I have a major sweet tooth, and this dessert bar fits the bill for the perfect all in one bite. The sweet caramel with the buttery and sugary oatmeal crust and chocolate bites in between make for an amazing and unforgettable sweet dessert bar.
Make these for you and your family or anyone you want to show how special they are. They will love you back!
Sweet and decadent dessert bars with caramel, chocolate, and oatmeal.
- 32 caramel squares unwrapped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup melted butter salted
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (old fashioned, not quick cooking or instant)
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the caramel squares and cream. Stir until the caramel has melted and you have a smooth caramel sauce. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats and baking soda until thoroughly mixed together. Put half of the oatmeal mixture into the baking dish. Pat the mixture to cover the bottom of the dish. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the dish from oven. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the oatmeal crust. Pour the caramel sauce over the chocolate chips. Crumble the remaining oatmeal mixture over the caramel sauce.
- Bake in the oven for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting.
Recipe Source: The Baker Upstairs