Broccoli Cheddar Soup is something you are probably familiar with. Before I became a vegetarian, I would always order Broccoli Cheddar Soup at Panera Bread. It was my favorite. One of my few disappointments when I became a vegetarian was I could not order the Broccoli Cheddar Soup at Panera Bread because it is made with chicken stock. Oh well, that made me work through many recipes to find the best recreation but would be truly vegetarian. I am happy to share with you my absolute favorite recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Soup, and it happens to be vegetarian friendly.
Making Broccoli Cheddar soup into a vegetarian friendly soup is not hard. I simply use vegetable stock in place of chicken stock. I had my share of Broccoli Cheddar Soup at Panera Bread back in the day, and I would say this soup is a great replica.
Vegetable stocks are a personal preference. I use different versions of vegetable stocks, broths, bouillon cubes, etc. when I am preparing different recipes. For this soup, I use Edward & Sons Not-Chick’n Bouillon Cubes. I just add 1 bouillon cube with 2 cups water to make my vegetable stock for this soup.
Whatever you choose to use, I hope you enjoy this soup as much as we do. Don’t forget to add some warm crusty french bread to make this an even more authentic experience!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup (Vegetarian Friendly)
- 1 T butter
- 1/2 medium onion small diced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half & half
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 lb fresh broccoli chopped into small pieces (approx. 3 cups)
- 1 cup julienned carrots save time and get the matchstick carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese grated (approx. 2 cups)
- In a small pan, saute onion in 1 T butter over medium heat. Once the onion is softened, remove from heat and set aside.
- In large pot over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add 1/4 cup flour and whisk for 2-3 minutes. Add the half & half and whisk until smooth. Now add the vegetable stock. Stir with whisk until fully combined. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring on occasion.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and reserved onions. Cook over low heat for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add the cheddar cheese and stir until melted. (Make sure the soup is not too hot. The soup could turn grainy. I removed the pot from the heat while I added the cheese.)
This soup is perfect alone with nothing on top.
But I think I little more cheddar cheese on top is a nice touch!