Broccoli Cheddar Casserole is comfort food in our home. Well, anything with broccoli and cheddar cheese is delicious, but this casserole is so good and so filling. Broccoli Cheddar Casserole with no “condensed cream of” canned soups, just cheesy, creamy goodness!
Broccoli Cheddar Casserole is often used as a side dish, but in our house, this casserole is our main dish! It is filling, cheesy, and just simply delicious!
For years, I made a Broccoli Cheddar Casserole with cream of celery soup. I kept the ingredients the same and made a roux instead. Yum! Yum! Yum! You cannot beat the magic of a roux made with real butter!
I love the hint of heat from cayenne pepper in this dish. It does not make the dish spicy, but rather just a slight hint of heat. You can leave out the cayenne pepper, and you will still get a flavorful Broccoli Cheddar Casserole!
Broccoli Cheddar Casserole
- 4 cups cooked long grain white rice
- 4 cups bite-size steamed broccoli florets I used frozen broccoli that was slightly thawed
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 3 T salted butter
- 1 small yellow onion small diced
- 3 T all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 t salt or to taste
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper or to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2 1/2 quart size baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, broccoli, and 1 cup cheese. Stir until fully combined. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add the butter and onion. Cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until softened and transparent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the flour and stir until it makes a thick paste. Continue to cook for 2 minutes or until it turns golden brown. Add the milk and stir with a whisk. Continue to cook and stir with the whisk until it reaches a simmer and starts to thicken. Remove from heat. Add the salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper (if using). Adjust the seasonings if needed. (The sauce should be heavily seasoned since the rice and broccoli do not have added salt or seasonings.)
- Pour the sauce over the rice and broccoli mixture. Stir to fully combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is bubbly and browned on the edges.