This is a family friendly main dish that will please kids and adults alike. The bowtie shaped pasta is fun for kids, but I like to the cute shaped pasta myself! The broccoli is nutritious for everyone! Don’t think your just getting a cute kid friendly meal. I have added toasted pine nuts, and the option of red pepper flakes to give some slight warmth to this dish. Topped with a drizzle of olive oil and parmesan cheese, you have yourself a delicious and easy weeknight meal!
I make this dish with a lot of broccoli, but feel free to add a couple of cooked and sliced chicken breast to yours if you want.
Broccoli Bowtie Pasta
- 1 lb bowtie pasta also known as Farfalle
- 1 head broccoli chopped in florets and steamed (use a steamer, steamer bag or boiled until slightly tender)
- 1 T butter
- 1 T olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 t red pepper flakes optional
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- salt & pepper to taste
- grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Before draining the pasta, scoop out 1 cup of the pasta water and set aside.
- Drain cooked pasta and set aside.
- Heat butter and 1 T olive oil in a large skillet. Once melted, add the pine nuts. Stir the pine nuts until golden in color. This does not take long, around 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and steamed broccoli. Add the optional red pepper flakes at this time. Stir for a minute.
- Add the cooked pasta. Stir the ingredients in the skillet, and start adding the reserved pasta water, 1/4 cup at a time. You are not making a sauce, but you want to prevent the pasta from being too dry.
- Add the salt & pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat.
- Put the pasta and broccoli mixture into individual serving bowls. Drizzle each with olive oil and topped with parmesan cheese.