I love to eat cupcakes! I appreciate a good cupcake! Admittedly though a good cupcake takes a little extra time in the kitchen. So, if I’m going to enjoy good cupcake and spend more time in the kitchen, I’m going to make sure it’s a good cupcake. These Apple Spice Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting are absolutely worth every minute in the kitchen.
The cupcake itself is full of wonderful spices and freshly grated apples. They are moist, dense and a full of flavor. The cinnamon cream cheese frosting puts this cupcake into the out of this world delicious cupcake zone!
My husband and I enjoyed these cupcakes for our dessert over a few days. We kept them in the refrigerator and just took the ones we wanted out and let them come to room temperature before enjoying them.
The apples and spices in the cupcake are perfect for this time of year. The cinnamon cream cheese is absolutely amazing and decadent on the cupcake. These cupcakes will be worth the every minute of your time!
Apple Spice Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 ground ginger
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 T buttermilk room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups grated gala apples 2 medium apples, peeled
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 2 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put 12 paper liners into a standard muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Stir together with a whisk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the butter. Beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft and creamy (around 2 minutes). Add the sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy (around 2 minutes). Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined (around 1 minute).
- Add half the flour mixture and beat on low speed until combined. Add the buttermilk and mix until just combined. Add remaining flour mixture and mix until just barely combined. With a rubber spatula, fold in the shredded apple and its juices.
- Pour the batter equally into the 12 lined muffin cups. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing the cupcakes from the pan and cooling on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl add the butter and beat with a mixer on medium high speed until fluffy (around 2 to 3 minutes). Add the cream cheese, vanilla and salt and beat for an additional 2 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and fully combined. Add the cinnamon and mix until fully combined. Increase the mixer speed to medium high and beat until light and fluffy (around 1 to 2 minutes).
- Frost the cupcakes using an offset spatula or a decorating bag and tip.
- Store the cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Bring the cupcakes to room temperature before serving.