This Vegan Thai Red Curry is filled with flavor from red curry paste and turmeric along with cauliflower, potatoes, chickpeas, tomatoes and red lentils. A filling vegan meal that delivers on flavor!
I love making this dish when I want a nutrient filled meal that is also quick and easy to put together. I do want to emphasize to read the ingredients in the red curry paste. Some brands include fish sauce while other brands are vegan friendly.
Red lentils are not rare but they are not always on the shelves at the the large supermarket chains. I had to make a trip to a grocery store that sold them in the bulk bins. Of course, you can easily find them online. You may be tempted to use green or brown lentils, but this dish is really best with red lentils. The red lentils cook quickly, and their flavoring is spot on for this recipe.
Vegan Thai Red Curry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 head cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1 lb small Yukon Gold potatoes cut into quarters
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed & drained
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups prepared jasmine rice
- chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Prepare the rice per the package instructions. Set aside when done.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onions and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and sautéed for another minute.
- Add the turmeric, red curry paste and salt. Stir to combine the seasonings. Cook until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add the cauliflower, potatoes, chickpeas, tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for around 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the coconut milk. Stir until combined. Add additional salt if needed.
- Serve over jasmine rice. Add some chopped parsley or cilantro if desired. Enjoy!