I few years ago, I took on the role of making a birthday cake for a vegan. I was hesitant, but I was determined to make a cake that would be be just as delicious as any other cake. I managed to find a recipe that made everyone at the party ask me if I was sure this cake was vegan. Mission accomplished!
This cake is also a great option for those with egg or dairy allergies. The cake is dense, moist and full of chocolate deliciousness! I discovered this recipe in an the amazing book full of delicious vegetarian and vegan recipes, Moosewood Restaurant Favorites: The 250 Most-Requested Naturally Delicious Recipes From One of America’s Best-Loved Restaurants. I have never had the opportunity to visit and eat at Moosewood Restaurant, so I do the next best thing. Make the recipes at home from this delightful recipe filled book.
Now back to this delicious cake! It is not at all complicated to make. There are no hard to find ingredients in this dessert. The apple cider may seem odd, but you will not know it is there at all! You will simply taste decadent chocolate goodness!
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 3 cups unbleached white all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder lightly packed
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 t salt
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips optional - Ghiradelli brand recommended
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Chocolate Glaze
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate - Ghirardelli brand recommended
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9x2 baking dish and dust it with flour
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. Use a whisk to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- In a separate medium bowl, add the water, vanilla extract and vegetable oil. Stir to combine.
- Now add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and whisk just until it is incorporated.
- If using the mini chocolate chips, add them now and gently stir just to mix the mini chocolate chips throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. (Do not underbake this cake. If the middle is slightly undercooked, the cake will sink in the middle as it cools.)
- Let the cake cool.
- After the cake has cooled, make the glaze. Put the chocolate and boiling water in a blender and allow it to set for a couple of minutes so the chocolate can soften. Now turn on the blender to blend just until smooth. Pour the glaze in a bowl and cool for 15 to 20 minutes, so the glaze can be at a spreadable consistency. Spread the glaze over the top of the cake.
- The cake is ready to be cut and served.