Key lime pie has been one of my favorite desserts. I would always order and still order key lime pie from the menu when we go on vacation at the beach. A slice of sweet and tart lime with a buttery graham cracker crust is right up my alley. A touch of whipped cream makes this dessert even more delicious.
A few years ago, I decided I wanted key lime pie and the beach trip was not around the corner. I had no idea how easy key lime pie was to make. Word to the wise, there is no way around the crucial ingredient, Key Lime Juice! You cannot use just any lime juice. Well … you can, but it would not be a key lime pie in that case. There is something magical about these tiny limes. Since we are on the subject of tiny, you would have to juice a lot of these limes. I honestly do not take the time to juice key limes, and they are not always accessible when I need them. So, I buy Key lime juice, not lime juice, Key lime juice. It is available in bottled form year round and is perfect for this pie. I use Nellie & Joe’s Famous Key West Lime Juice. I find this key lime juice easily accessible at most supermarkets in the juice isle. (Not a sponsored post, just being helpful).
Now, without further ado. The recipe for Key Lime Pie!
Key Lime Pie
- 18 whole graham crackers the 4-section large pieces
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 3 Egg yolks
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Crush the graham crackers in a large sealable plastic bag or food processor.
- Pour crumbs in a bowl. Add the sugar and stir. Once combined, add the melted butter and stir until completely combined.
- Put the mixture into the a 9-inch pie plate and press on the bottom and sides.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or until golden brown and set. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Put eggs yolks, sweetened condensed milk, key lime juice and vanilla extract in to a bowl.
- Mix with a whisk until combined.
- Pour filling into prepared graham cracker crust.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before putting into the refrigerator to completely chill.
- The pie will be chilled and ready to slice in about 2 hours.
- Top with whipped cream and enjoy!
Have to try this. Bet I will plenty of volunteers to try it
Thanks!! I hope you like it as much as I do!