Fig season is here and gone in a flash, and if you are fortunate to get your hands on some fresh figs, this Fig Jam is worth making to enjoy the fleeting fig season! An easy to make jam with fresh figs, lemon juice, and sugar create a sweet and simple treat!
Figs are not the most beautiful or appealing piece of fruit at first glance. However, is is a sweet and delicate fruit that is at least a must try. They are delicious with mascarpone cheese & honey.
I am fortunate to have fresh figs available to me thanks to my Mom and Dad having a fig tree on their property. She texted me this beautiful picture below asking me if I wanted some figs this year. I did not hesitate!
Thank you Mom for the delicious and abundant fresh figs!
- 2 lbs fresh figs quartered
- 1/2 cup water
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, add all of the ingredients. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Lower heat to low and continue to cook at a simmer for around 20 to 25 minutes stirring occasionally.The sugar should be dissolved and the figs should break down into thick consistency.
- Using a potato masher, break down the figs to a smoother consistency.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Place the jam into airtight containers (i.e. mason jars) and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.