Macaroni and Cheese is comfort food at its best! This creamy and decadent macaroni and cheese is cooked on the stovetop in one pot.
I only use one pot to cook the pasta and the cheese sauce for this macaroni and cheese! This Creamy Macaroni and Cheese is perfect for a weeknight or weekend meal.
You can certainly use the pasta of your choice, but I liked to keep the classic macaroni shape in this recipe.
The cheese combination of sharp white cheddar and gruyere gives that cheesy kick! The subtle smokiness from the smoked paprika and just the hint of cayenne pepper adds extra flavor to an already delicious creamy sauce!
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked macaroni pasta
- 4 T butter
- 4 T all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 1/4 t ground mustard
- 1/8 t smoked paprika
- 1/8 t cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- Fill a large pot with salted boiling water. Add the macaroni pasta and boil for 5 to 7 minutes or until just al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the butter and melt over medium heat. Add the flour and stir with a whisk for 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly add the milk and continue to stir with the whisk until smooth and the mixture has slightly thickened to coat the back of a spoon. Add the cheeses and stir until melted. Add the mustard, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt & pepper to taste. Stir in the cooked pasta.
- Serve and enjoy!