Cinnamon Roll Cake. Is it a cake? Is it a cinnamon roll? It is a cake with the flavors of cinnamon rolls and even topped with the sweet sugar glaze. It is not unusual for us to make a batch of cinnamon rolls for dessert. This cake was a nice change of pace for our cinnamon roll fix.
Surprisingly, this cake was not as sweet or rich as I expected when I first made it. Probably because you put everything in a 9×13 baking dish, so it is large cake.
This cake reminds me of a coffee cake but more. That means I can enjoy this with my afternoon coffee too! Just another reason to take a bite of this yummy cinnamon roll cake.
Cinnamon Roll Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 t baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Two eggs
- 2 t pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- 1 T cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 T milk
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- In a large bowl add the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, eggs and vanilla. Combine ingredients with an electric mixer on medium. Slowly stir in the melted butter until fully combined. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In a large bowl add the butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Combine ingredients with an electric mixer on medium high until fully combined and creamy. Scoop by the the topping by the tablespoon over the cake batter. Use a knife to swirl through the cake.
- Bake for 28 to 35 minutes or when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. (My oven took the complete 35 minutes.)
- In a medium bowl, add the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Drizzle the glaze evenly over the slightly cooled but still warm cake.