Here are the cookies that I promised last Friday! I have to say that they are worth the wait! These cookies are amazing!
I discovered the recipe for these cookies in the book, Chloe’s Kitchen: 125 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Making the Food You Love the Vegan Way by Chloe Coscarelli. These cookies are like chocolate chip cookies with a shot of espresso and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Based on the title of the book, you have probably figured out that these cookies are vegan!
There are only two ingredients that make these cookies vegan The vegan margarine (I use the Earth Balance brand which is often found next to the butter in the dairy aisle at grocery stores.). The chocolate chips should be dairy free. Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips are dairy free! With that being said, if you want to try these cookies, but you are not concerned with them being vegan or not, you can use butter and your choice of semi-sweet chocolate chips. I made these cookies vegan, and there is no sacrifice in flavor or texture. So either way, vegan or vegetarian, these cookies are absolutely delicious!
Cinnamon Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 3/4 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 cup vegan margarine I use Earth Balance
- 3 T instant espresso powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips I use Ghirardelli
- About 1/4 cup granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 to 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir with a whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, add the vegan margarine and espresso powder. Mix with an electric mixer until fully combined. Add the powdered sugar and brown sugar, and mix until fully combined. Add the flour mixture (1/2 cup at a time). If the dough seems to dry to scoop, mix in 1 to 2 tablespoons of water.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the sugar onto a small plate.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of dough at a time and roll each scoop into a ball. Roll each ball in the sugar. Place each ball on the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. For crispy cookies, gently flatten the balls of dough with the palm of your hand. For soft cookies, leave the balls as is.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Allow the cookies to cool before serving.